WHAT IS FOREIGN BODY REMOVAL?
Foreign body removal refers to the process of extracting objects that have become lodged in the body, whether accidentally or unintentionally. These foreign objects can range from small particles like splinters, glass fragments, or even small toys, to larger objects that might become trapped in the ear, nose, throat, or other body orifices. Swift removal is essential to prevent infection, pain, and potential complications.
Certain foreign body removal that falls outside the scope of our urgent care services may necessitate referral to an emergency room. If you are experiencing difficulties in breathing, uncontrolled bleeding, or chest pain unrelated to coughing, please call 9-1-1 immediately or seek care at an Emergency facility.
When to Seek Care for Foreign Body Removal?
Knowing when to seek care for foreign body removal is crucial to prevent complications and alleviate discomfort. Here are some instances where seeking medical attention is advisable:
- Objects in Delicate Areas: Foreign objects lodged in sensitive areas such as the ears, nose, throat, or eyes require professional removal to avoid potential harm.
- Inability to Remove: If attempts to remove the foreign body at home are unsuccessful or result in increased pain or discomfort, it’s time to seek medical help.
- Risk of Infection: Any foreign object that breaks the skin or has been present for an extended period increases the risk of infection and should be addressed promptly.
- Swallowed Objects: Swallowing foreign objects, particularly by young children, requires immediate medical evaluation to prevent choking hazards or digestive issues.
Streamlined Foreign Object Removal Process
When you come to University Urgent Care for foreign body removal, expect thorough and efficient care:
- Assessment: Our skilled medical team evaluates the situation, collecting details about the foreign object’s nature and your symptoms.
- Diagnostic Imaging: In certain cases, precise localization is achieved through X-rays or other imaging techniques.
- Local Anesthesia: Discomfort is minimized through the application of topical numbing cream, if needed.
- Removal Techniques: Tailored methods, including specialized tools, gentle irrigation, or other approaches, safely extract the object based on its location and type.
- Aftercare and Follow-Up: After successful removal, receive guidance on aftercare to promote healing and prevent infection. Follow-up appointments may be scheduled as necessary.
Important Disclaimer: Foreign Body Removal
At University Urgent Care, your health and safety are our utmost priority. We are dedicated to providing prompt and effective medical care, including foreign body removal when possible. However, it’s important to note that certain cases may fall outside the scope of urgent care treatment.
In situations where the complexity of the foreign body’s location, size, or potential risks exceeds our urgent care capabilities, we may, in the interest of your well-being, refer you to an emergency room or a medical specialist for further evaluation and care.
TREATMENT AT UNIVERSITY URGENT CARE
Whether for children or adults, UUC’s expert care team can help with foreign object removal from the ears, nose, or under the skin. Don’t hesitate to seek professional evaluation even if discomfort or bleeding isn’t evident, as trauma prevention is crucial. For efficient and proper care, visit our convenient location near the Texas Christian University (TCU) campus. UUC proudly serves Frisco Heights, Tanglewood, Paschal, and TCU neighborhood areas. Your health and well-being remain our priority.
URGENT CARE FOR KIDS
University Urgent Care provides foreign body removal and treatment for children aged 2 and up, catering to a wide range of medical needs. Families can either walk in for immediate care or conveniently schedule an appointment online, ensuring prompt attention to their child’s health. Learn more about our urgent care services for kids here.