WHAT IS STREP?
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat and tonsils. It’s a common infection, especially in children. Typically only diagnosed with the used of a strep testing kit provided by a doctor.
Strep throat is more common in children because their immune systems are not as developed as adults. This means that they are more susceptible to infections. Although most of the cases of strep throat are in children, adults of any age can contract this bacteria.
SYMPTOMS OF STREP THROAT
If you or your child has a sore throat that is accompanied by a fever over 101 degrees Fahrenheit, it may be strep throat. Other warning signs of strep throat include:
– A sore throat that lasts more than a few days
– Difficulty swallowing
– Red and swollen tonsils
– White patches on the tonsils or throat
– Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
– Body aches
If you or your child has any of these symptoms, it’s important to see a doctor right away.
STREP THROAT TESTING
Strep throat testing is commonly done with a rapid strep test. This is a quick and easy test that can be done in an urgent care facility. A swab is taken from the back of the throat and then tested for strep bacteria. The results of the test are usually available within minutes.
STREP THROAT TREAMTENT OPTIONS
Treatment options for strep throat include:
– Antibiotics: Antibiotics are the most common treatment for strep throat. They can help to reduce symptoms and shorten the duration of the infection.
– Pain relief: Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help to relieve sore throat pain.
– Rest: Getting plenty of rest is important for helping the body to fight off infection.
– Gargling with salt water: Gargling with salt water can help to soothe a sore throat.
– Drinking plenty of fluids: Drinking lots of fluids is important for staying hydrated and preventing dehydration.