Minor Burn Injuries in Fort Worth, TX

34 Services ( View All )

What Are Minor Burn Injuries?

Burn injuries to the skin are one of the most common household injuries, particularly in children. While some burns can be treated at home, immediate medical attention is necessary for even minor burns to avoid infections and other complications. At University Urgent Care (UUC) in Fort Worth, TX our team of ER doctors and nurse practitioners can assess chemical, electrical, and thermal burns, look for signs of infection, and determine if a tetanus shot is needed. Conveniently located near the Texas Christian University (TCU) campus for patients in the Frisco Heights, Paschal, Tanglewood, and nearby neighborhoods, UUC can help you get proper medical care for minor burn injuries quickly and effectively. Try our online check-in feature to minimize your wait time.

What Are the Different Types of Burns?

Thermal Burns

Thermal burns, created by hot objects including fire, steam, and liquids, are commonly treated at UUC. Ranging from first to third degree, a thermal burn can often require medical care if it is bigger than 3 inches, on the face, or on a major joint. If you are unsure about the severity of a thermal burn or how to treat it, it is best to visit UUC to get a professional medical assessment and treatment.

Electrical Burns

Burns caused by an electrical current can create injuries to the skin, as well as internal tissues. Electrical burns may be caused by an electric socket or faulty appliance in the household and natural sources of electricity. Since the damage created by an electrical burn can be difficult to see, it's important to have a medical professional assess a person after an electrical injury to avoid long-term complications.

Chemical Burns

Chemical or caustic burns caused by acid or base solutions require immediate medical attention, especially since a minor burn can create internal damage. Most commonly caused by household cleaners with bleach or ammonia, as well as chlorinated pool cleaners, car battery acid, and teeth whitening products, chemical burns can cause first, second, or third-degree burns.

Should I Be Treated for Minor Burns?

All chemical or electrical burns should be evaluated by a medical professional. Patients should treat the burn with cool (not cold) water and apply an antibiotic cream. Ice should not be applied to burns and anything with fibers (clothing, cotton balls) should be kept away from the burn. At UUC, our experienced team can evaluate and treat minor burn injuries to avoid complications like infections or tetanus.

How Are Minor Burn Injuries Treated?

For most burns, our team of medical professionals will gently cleanse the area to decontaminate and prevent an infection. An antibiotic cream will be applied to soothe the skin and help promote healing. If there's any pain, local anesthesia (numbing cream) can be put on the burn or a prescription may be written. UUC has an onsite laboratory if any tests are needed to check for internal damage or infections, so those can also be treated. Before being released, patients will be given home care instructions and any recommendations for follow-up care.

Request Consultation

Plan Your Procedure

Procedure Recovery Location  
Contact Us

Take Action With Burns

University Urgent Care can help prevent infections and complications with fast, effective medical care for minor burn injuries. We proudly serve the communities of Frisco Heights, Tanglewood, Paschal, TCU, and nearby Fort Worth neighborhoods 7 days a week. You never need an appointment to get medical care at UUC and our online check-in can help shorten your wait times. Protect your health and the health of your family with urgent medical care at UUC for chemical, electrical, and thermal burns.

Related Services

Related Posts